Iconofile: Icons and Sacred Art
Iconofile: Icons and Sacred Art Iconofile: Icons and Sacred Art

Iconofile Forum

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Iconofile Forum   » General Questions & Answers   » Bouguereau Pieta

- Send-to-a-Friend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bouguereau Pieta
dmartinezbertolini
Member # 807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmartinezbertolini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by T Hart:
Very, very interesting. Thank you Nancy. It's so wonderful to have access to all this experience on forums like this. Once more the cat has survived his curiosity.
So Daniel, where will you go with your project? I never did ask how large it was to be or for what purpose. Could you work on a panel? Best of luck to you with it, gilded halos or not.I hope you will keep us posted on it's progress. Terry

T,

I have done a study in oils, but realizing the halo with painting, besides I assist to a Gilding Course to know some of the tricks. About your answer if the picture could be done in panel, Yes, sure, but I want to use canvas, the final size will be 50" x 40", and the halo diameter about 6", It will be settled in my local church San Pablo Apostol in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I'll post you on advance !

Posts: 4 | From: Buenos Aires - Argentina | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
T Hart
Member # 810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T Hart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very, very interesting. Thank you Nancy. It's so wonderful to have access to all this experience on forums like this. Once more the cat has survived his curiosity.
So Daniel, where will you go with your project? I never did ask how large it was to be or for what purpose. Could you work on a panel? Best of luck to you with it, gilded halos or not.I hope you will keep us posted on it's progress. Terry

dmartinezbertolini
Member # 807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmartinezbertolini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nikolai:
In 2005 I attended a workshop at the Angel Academy of Art in Florence, where the project I chose was to paint a reproduction of a painting by Bouguereau. There was no gilding, but perhaps one of the instructors there might be able to answer your questions.

http://www.angelartschool.com/

Thanks Nikolai

I was deceived by a great illusionist (WB)

Jill
Member # 355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had the privilege of looking at Bouguereau's Virgin and Child (painted in 1888) at very close range, and I can say that the haloes are definitely not gilded, but painted using oils. Bouguereau has used a warm cream colour for the haloes, with a bronze colour for the contrasting fine detail. There is no moulding, embossing or other three-dimensional effect in the haloes, they have the same contour as the rest of the painting.

I have not had the chance to view any of his other original works, however, it would seem likely that he would have done the same with the haloes of his other religious paintings.

I suspect the illusion of gilding is the result of the reflective properties of the paint when photographed, particularly when a flash is used.

Link to the painting:

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/B/bouguereau/bouguereau_virgin.jpg.html

(the link provided by our Argentinian friend doesn't seem to work)

Nancy
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Tom, I think it is probable that the canvas is stretched over a supporting surface, some kind of panel. Otherwise, we would likely see some cracking in the gold, if it is laid over gesso.

It looks to me as if there is pastiglia and tooling (indenting) the base in this halo. It is not unusual for both to be used together to create dramatic highs and lows.

Posts: 56 | From: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
nikolai
Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nikolai   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 2005 I attended a workshop at the Angel Academy of Art in Florence, where the project I chose was to paint a reproduction of a painting by Bouguereau. There was no gilding, but perhaps one of the instructors there might be able to answer your questions.

http://www.angelartschool.com/

--------------------
Nikolai

Posts: 171 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
T Hart
Member # 810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T Hart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Daniel, Glad you found your way over here. I'm very curious about this. I've been able to find nothing at all about Wm.B. gilding technique. In fact I can't even confirm that those halos are gilded and not painted. Have you actually seen them or know for certain they are? It's impossible to say for sure by looking at an image on a computer screen. To me gilded halos seem at odds and out of place with that style of painting.
Anyway the stamping of the gold after burnishing as is commonly done seems to not be practical. Maybe you could make a stamp and press it into a soft ground to create relief before gilding?

Tom
Member # 16

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming the canvas is rigid (perhaps mounted on panel) I can see using a thicker gesso made of marble dust and sculpted or probably, stamped. But what if the canvas is "stretched" and therefore flexible and subject to humitdity fluctuations? I would imagine, in modern times, there are flexible acrylic products that would acheive the same effects. Products like modeling paste would work. It's that flexibilty that could be a detriment to results.

--------------------
Tom

Posts: 428 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
dmartinezbertolini
Member # 807

Hi Terry, Hello everybody !!

Title : How to build a true gilding halo for an oil painting

I'm new at this forum but was advised to register at this one for a fellow of another forum, so I'll post you the text ....

I should make a gilding halo for a comissioned CANVAS (should be a true gilding halo, not a painted one) and I want to know CLUES about the molding technique that used Bouguereau in "Pieta" (similar to those appearing in Fra Angelico's pictures but Angelico used a panel as support), how to gild is not my problem, but how to mold it. Should I make it apart from the canvas and then to insert it on the surface?, or perhaps molding (at the begining) the halo directly on the canvas with gesso? or just carving the form over the gilding area?

I think that I'll try to build the halo using many layers of lead or perhaps Gesso, then when the surface be even, could carve the halo directly on it and so on until the gilding will cover it.

Look at these pictures that Bouguereau realized about 1890, they look perfect and were done on canvas, if I'm not wrong background on the 3º picture has reliefs, not so worked as the haloes do, I think he took advantage on the Gesso he had to apply to build the haloes, so I suspect that he used a solution as this I'm speaking about

Pieta
Dallas Museum of Fine Arts, Dallas
http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=26

The Seated Madonna
Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/databa...ge.asp?id=1088

The Madonna of the Roses
The Gould Mansion Tarrytown, New York City, New York, USA
http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/databa...ge.asp?id=1696

Thanks for helping me !!!

T Hart
Member # 810

Hello, first post here so I'll introduce myself. My name is Terry and I'm a picture framer by trade & I love to paint. While I don't paint icons & I'm not orthodox (in any sense of the word some may say) I'm very interested in icons & have enjoyed reading on this forum for some time now. A question has come up about a Pieta by Wm Bouguereau & while not an icon I suppose someone here may be familiar with it. I was told that the halos in the painting are gilded & that it is on a stretched canvas. Is this true? Gilding on a stretched canvas doesn't seem like a sound idea to me. I haven't been able to find any information on it. If gilded is the gilding incised or embossed? Pastagilia? What technique & materials could have been used to create sound gilding on a stretched canvas?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 2003-2015 Iconofile. All rights to the postings in this forum become that of Iconofile.