Iconofile: Icons and Sacred Art
Iconofile: Icons and Sacred Art Iconofile: Icons and Sacred Art

Iconofile Forum

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Iconofile Forum   » General Questions & Answers   » Canons

- Send-to-a-Friend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Canons
Jill
Member # 355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To my knowledge, there is no single book with "the exact canons of iconography". There are, of course, specific canons which can be found among the canons of the Quinisext and Seventh Ecumenical Councils, and in a good number of local (synodal) Orthodox councils, such as the Stoglav Council, the Great Council of Moscow, and others in other parts of the Orthodox world. St John of Damascus' treatise "On the Divine Images" is perhaps the finest exposition of what iconography is, and it quite rightly influenced the Fathers of the abovementioned councils. However, written canons do not cover every single eventuality which might cross an iconographer's path.

A knowledge and understanding of what is, and, importantly, what is not proper iconography is gained from a sound knowledge of Orthodox doctrine, scripture and liturgical texts. In other words, understanding icons is, to a great extent, a product of the life of the Orthodox Church, and not merely derived from reading relevant books or articles.

You're welcome to message me privately for more information.

ce/the olde crow
Member # 86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ce/the olde crow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everybody. Could you pls tell me if there is a book out there w/the exact canons of iconography? It would be most helpful.
Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Soli Deo Gloria!
Ora pro me.
ce/the olde crow
All that is seen is NOT all that is important!
Life, if it ain't funny, it ain't nuthin'.

Posts: 7 | From: lakewood, colorado | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 2003-2015 Iconofile. All rights to the postings in this forum become that of Iconofile.