Iconofile: Icons and Sacred Art
Iconofile: Icons and Sacred Art Iconofile: Icons and Sacred Art

Iconofile Forum

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Iconofile Forum   » General Questions & Answers   » Dimension in Icon

- Send-to-a-Friend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dimension in Icon
Jill
Member # 355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Anne

I would not recommend adding any additional "dimensionality" to your work, other than that which arises as a normal texture and contour of the embroidery/tapestry. Apart from straying from the longstanding iconographic tradition of flatness, if any additional contour were added to, say, the hands, it would look distorted and ungainly.

In embroidered pieces which are used liturgically, such as the cloth showing the body of Christ surrounded by His mother, and the various saints (Apostle John, Joseph of Arimathea, the myrrh-bearing women, etc) mourning His death, the relief work in the figures is minimal, and really no more than what arises from the embroidery technique used. It cannot even be called a true bas-relief.

Is this work of yours intended to be venerated, or will it be simply on display on a stand or hanging on a wall?

AnneG
Member # 5489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnneG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I am working on an icon of the Mother of God, but not painted (or written) but embroidered in silk on silk fabric. I have a question. Is it correct to show some dimensionality? Embroidery because of the medium is dimensional, but there are ways to make it more dimensional. Should it be completely flat or can I add more dimension to the hands, especially? Thank you for your advice. AnneG in NC

--------------------
AnneG in NC

Posts: 1 | From: Cary, NC | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 2003-2015 Iconofile. All rights to the postings in this forum become that of Iconofile.