Iconofile: Icons and Sacred Art
Iconofile: Icons and Sacred Art Iconofile: Icons and Sacred Art

Iconofile Forum

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Iconofile Forum   » General Questions & Answers   » Saint Michael's wings

- Send-to-a-Friend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Saint Michael's wings
LaurieO
Member # 6940

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieO   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Theron- thank you for your comments. I thought that other than two wings, angels are depicted according to the hierarchy. Here's an example of one that shows what I mean:
Icon Exaltation of The Cross

I also just noticed that one pair of angels has what looks to be red wings. Thanks again - Laurie

Posts: 7 | From: Cape Cod, Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Theron
Member # 261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Theron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LaurieO:
Hello- I have been off the list for a few years, having spent some time working in other areas of art. I am a pen and ink artist who was painting icons for a time, but ended up depicting pen and ink icon-style drawings as opposed to traditional icons. I have a question, and I have researched online, and somewhat through the forum, and cannot seem to find an answer. Can anyone tell me the significance of Saint Micheal's wing (s) color? I have seen many that are red, and I have myself drawn them red. I seem to remember a specific reason for the red, but I cannot now find it in my notes. Although I would guess the Orthodox tradition is gold (?) - I do seem to recall a reason for red. Thank you in advance for anyone that can help.

Laurie

Probably some icon writer in the distant past painted the wings red, and it has passed down by tradition for that particular icon ever since.

And it could very well be that the icon writer who started the tradition several centuries ago may have had some extra (expensive) red paint he'd ground and mixed, so he painted the wings that color. Or, he may have been out of the orange, red, yellow, whatever pigment he normally used.

Is it traditon that angels have two sets of wings, one for flying in the earthly realm, one (blue) for flying in the heavenly realm? If it isn't tradition, it makes a charming explanation for blue angel pinions.

Posts: 144 | From: Alexandria, Virginia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
LaurieO
Member # 6940

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieO   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much Jill, that's exactly what I needed to know. Blessings to you over the holidays.

Laurie

Jill
Member # 355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only icons of Archangel Michael which frequently show him with red wings are of the type Voevoda, where he is armed for battle astride a flying red horse, and blowing a trumpet, triumphant over the powers of evil.

All other icons of Archangel Michael (indeed, of any of the angels or archangels) do not show any particular consistency in choice of colour for his wings. Red, in particular, except as a highlight, seems to be practically unknown, other than for the specific composition I described above.

LaurieO
Member # 6940

Hello- I have been off the list for a few years, having spent some time working in other areas of art. I am a pen and ink artist who was painting icons for a time, but ended up depicting pen and ink icon-style drawings as opposed to traditional icons. I have a question, and I have researched online, and somewhat through the forum, and cannot seem to find an answer. Can anyone tell me the significance of Saint Micheal's wing (s) color? I have seen many that are red, and I have myself drawn them red. I seem to remember a specific reason for the red, but I cannot now find it in my notes. Although I would guess the Orthodox tradition is gold (?) - I do seem to recall a reason for red. Thank you in advance for anyone that can help.

Laurie

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 2003-2015 Iconofile. All rights to the postings in this forum become that of Iconofile.