Iconofile: Icons and Sacred Art
Iconofile: Icons and Sacred Art Iconofile: Icons and Sacred Art

Iconofile Forum

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Iconofile Forum   » General Questions & Answers   » lettering styles

- Send-to-a-Friend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lettering styles
George
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 4 posted      Profile for George   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel,

We will be creating a tutorial on lettering in the Iconofile web site sometime during the summer. We will be revamping the entire web site before the summer, so the forum will be more lively once again.

--------------------
George O'Hanlon
Executive Director
Iconofile, Inc.
A nonprofit educational organization about sacred art

Posts: 911 | From: Northern California | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
daniel
Member # 190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! I have seen some of these fonts; I guess what I really would like to find is English letters that incorporate these decorative motifs I see in old Russian icons...perhaps the best thing is to imitate other iconographers who have incorporated this style...

I miss our lively and stimulating discussions!

--------------------
daniel

Posts: 200 | From: ohio | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jill
Member # 355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a free download link to the Fita Vjaz font:

http://www.webcorp.ru/files/fita_vjaz.rar

Some versions of WinZip can open .rar files, otherwise it's not difficult to find a free download for programs that open these files.

Tom
Member # 16

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The font I bought a long time ago is Fita Vjaz. Not sure if you can get it free but it shows up online when Googled. I bought from ParaType. It has a very Russian Scroll look with some characters showing berries and flourishes. I used this for an icon in Waterloo IA but they freaked cause they didn't like the "C" (they thought it looked like a "G") but it was too late to change a varnished panel they had photo approval before delivery.

--------------------
Tom

Posts: 428 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom
Member # 16

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Monk that taught me had me use a basic Times Roman and then use it as a base to add flourishes and truncated styles for icons. I have searched in vain for a font. Even tried a font contructing program to make my own. Some folks are just really good at lettering and doing it creatively. I know the type of which you speak. Soemtimes it has like little berries and some fancy swooshes. Sendlers book has some nice samples. I have made some progress with graph paper and just drawing out the whole alphabet maybe 2 or 3 inches high then redusing it to the proper size with a copier. At any rate, I am disappointed in my final product most of the time.

Look for a school website in Russia that has Anton Belov as one of the teachers. There are some fine examples there that can be adapted to English.

--------------------
Tom

Posts: 428 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
daniel
Member # 190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if anyone checks this site out anymore; it has gone from a lively place to a ghost town, but here goes:

Does anyone know where I can learn lettering styles (in English, not Cyrillic) like those in late Russian icons? The really fanciful, decorative ones? I have looked in vain on the internet...Thanks.

--------------------
daniel

Posts: 200 | From: ohio | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 2003-2015 Iconofile. All rights to the postings in this forum become that of Iconofile.