Iconofile: Icons and Sacred Art
Iconofile: Icons and Sacred Art Iconofile: Icons and Sacred Art

Iconofile Forum

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Iconofile Forum   » Techniques & Materials   » Russian pigment palette

- Send-to-a-Friend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Russian pigment palette
George
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 4 posted      Profile for George   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,

There are no specific numbers of pigments in the Russian icon painting palette, because they have changed with time. The article on the Natural Pigments, Color in Old Russian Painting: Symbolism and technique of painting in medieval Rus may list a number of pigments, but there were undoubtedly more in use during the medieval period in Russia. The ones listed are the most often encountered on Russian medieval painting.

--------------------
George O'Hanlon
Executive Director
Iconofile, Inc.
A nonprofit educational organization about sacred art

Posts: 911 | From: Northern California | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
John
Member # 183

Icon 5 posted      Profile for John     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once stumbled across a site that summarized a study in which the author stated that there were about twenty some odd pigments most frequently used in the historical Russian icon palette, but the article's abstract did not list them.

Does anyone know what pigments were/are most frequently used in the Russian palette? I know that there are regional (perhaps also period) variances based on availability, but this article indicated that there is a "typical" or "average" palette that was/is used. Also, any idea what the palette was during the "height" of Russian icon painting during the 14th to 16th centuries, especially in the Moscow and Novgorod Schools?

I did see an article on the Natural Pigments website that listed almost 20 pigments, but for some reason, I think the author of the article I mentioned previously stated that there were about 27.

Thanks for any help as I continue to create my palette of pigments.

Posts: 51 | From: Mineapolis, MN | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 2003-2015 Iconofile. All rights to the postings in this forum become that of Iconofile.