Iconofile: Icons and Sacred Art
Iconofile: Icons and Sacred Art Iconofile: Icons and Sacred Art

Iconofile Forum

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Iconofile Forum   » Icon Workshop   » Icon. - Is this possible?

- Send-to-a-Friend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Icon. - Is this possible?
Jill
Member # 355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Christian

It is most unlikely that this painting is even close to 1000 years old. The style of painting of the faces of the Virgin and Child suggest at least 500 years later, and most likely the 16th or 17th centuries, if not later than that. It is not an Orthodox custom to paint crowns on the heads of the Virgin or the Christ-child. Crowns began appearing in about the 16th century in western religious paintings of the Virgin and Child.

Nor was it normal practice to paint icons on canvas, either. Icons were almost always painted on wood. Again, western influence in Orthodox countries did lead to crowns being painted, but it is not the usual tradition. Also the Virgin's outer garment in your painting is blue, not red. This also suggests western origin. Orthodox icons show her dressed in red, with a blue inner garment. The Christ-child in this painting is holding a Gospel book, again, not a motif found in icons. In Orthodox icons, Christ as an adult holds the Gospel book, but as a Child, He holds a small scroll, symbolising Divine wisdom.

My guess would be that this painting came from a country where the dominant Christian faith was Roman Catholic, rather than Orthodox. I cannot say exactly which country, other than middle Europe or Eastern Europe.

I hope this helps you.

Christian
Member # 4288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hy!

This is a holy icon, which originates from a legacy.
His size 38x27cm.
Prepared for linen, on back the seal the one on the painting prepared from a red substance and not from wax.
Said it from who I got it, that more than 1000 years old.
What do you believe? Is this possible according to you?
The crowns and the inscriptions 2-3 mm thick, and they are covered with 24 karat clear golds.
I did not found an icon with similar forming on the internet formally, I earned much though.

http://fullextra.com/icon/

Thanks all
Christian

Posts: 1 | From: Deutsheland | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 2003-2015 Iconofile. All rights to the postings in this forum become that of Iconofile.